Skip to main content
Try Wikispaces Classroom now.
Brand new from Wikispaces.
Pages and Files
Chapter 1 Combined
Chapter 10 Combined
Chapter 11 Combined
Chapter 12 Combine
Chapter 2 Combined
Chapter 3 Combined
Chapter 4 Combined
Chapter 5 Combined
Chapter 6 Combined
Chapter 7 Combined
Chapter 8 Combined
Chapter 9 Combined
Add "All Pages"
Chapter 7 Combined
1. Explain the relationship between an HTML and source document and a Web page. List five HTML tags and describe howe ach is used. HTML and source documents are used to construct and produce web pages. HTML tags are incorporated in the HTML document, which is similar to a word processing file, but has an .htm or .html extension. HTML tags are instructions for the browser. Five tags that are used 1.<b> <i> bold or italicized 2.<h1><h2>...<6> font size 3.<h1 style = "color"> font color 4.<hr/> includes a horizonial line 5. <br/> line break... etc.
4. Explain why cookies are useful in an environment that is based on a stateless protocol, and provide some concrete examples of their use.
Cookies keep track of your web activity and compile a list of your purchases. When you go to a website the cookies keep track of your purchases and everything that you click on.
5. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of each type of Web page development tool discussed in this chapter.
HTML conversion utility within Microsoft Word – (adv) Easy to use by making a word document file and then saving it using Word’s ‘Save As Web Page’ option. – (disadv) Sometimes the conversion process of the features and formatting might not be possible in the world of HTML.
Notepad – (adv) Used to create simple HTML documents or quick modifications to complex pages. (disadv) – Using notepad is time consuming and complicated if you do not know the code.
Online Web Authoring Tools – (adv) Tools are quite simple and easy to use with tutorials that guide you step by step. (disadv) – Limited to the options packaged with that software.
HTML editors – IE Adobe Dreamweaver – (adv) – Tools designed specifically to enter and format text, graphics and links into a web page. (disadv) – High cost and lack of common knowledge.
6. Create a short tutorial explaining how to create, test, and post a web page using a text editor such as Notepad or TextEdit.
Creating – open the editor, and then you can enter text and HTML tags.
Testing&Posting – open a browser then enter the local file name for the HTML document you created for your page. Repeat for all your HTML documents you create. Next you need to transfer to a web server. This process is called posting. After you have posted make sure you can access each page and test the links on each page. Periodically review the links to make sure they are working correctly.
7. Explain the purpose of HTML scripts and the difference between server-side scripts and client-side scripts.
The purpose of HTML scripts can be embedded directly into the text of an HTML document or in a file referenced from an HTML document. It's pupose is also provide a way to perform complicated tasks or to respond to user actions since standard HTML can't.
8. Create a comic-strip like sequence of diagrams that illistrates how the following technologies interact: Web crawler, serach engine database, indexer, query processor.
Waldo the web crawler is a computer program that is automated to methodically visit Web sites.docx
9. Use a search engine and Boolean operators to formulate a search for information about your favorite era in history. Can you make a more targeted search to find out what kind of slang was used during that time period? A Boolean operator (sometimes called a search operator) is a word or symbol or symbol that describes a relationship between keyboards and thereby helps you create a more focused query. They are called Boolean operators after George Boole, a 19th century English mathematician, who defined one of the first systems of logic. How to use the Boolean operators are AND is used with two search terms and both must be used together, OR is used when either of the two search items are used and NOT when one of the keywords would not be used in the search.
To search for 20th century history. You can search "20th Century History" To search for 20th Century History Slang
You can access BING, and search
the Boolean “
and” the 20th century
. You can also search via Google,
20th century history and slang terms
will bring up various sources of slang data for this period of time.
10. list the four most commonly used styles of citation and demostrate how to correctly format a citation to a Web page using each styles.
Du Bois, W.E.B. "Of the Dawn of Freedom."The Souls of Black Folk. 1903. Project Bartleby. 27 Nov. 2000
Du Bois, W.E.B. (1903). Of the Dawn of Freedom. In The Souls of Black Folk. Retrieved Novemebr 27, 2010, from project Bartleby Website:
Du Bois, W.E.B. 1906. Of the Dawn of Freedom. In The Souls of Black Folk. Online. Available from internet,
, accessed November 27, 2010.
Du Bois, W.E.B. 1906. Of the Dawn of Freedom. In The Souls of Black Folk.
(accessed November 27, 2010).
11. Explain two ways that shopping carts work with cookies.
12. List three threats to the security of credit card numbers and other sensitive data during e-commerce transactions. Describe how the following e-commerece technologies work: SSL, one-time-use credit cards. electronic wallets, and person-to-person payment systems.
Credit card # stolen, identity stolen, illegal transaction on your credit card, personal information like your address, email and phone number stolen.
SSL-Means security socket layer. It provides a secure connection.
One-time-use-credit-cards--Is a credit card number you use to make a one time purchase online while keeping your personal credit card number secure.
Electronic wallet-Software that stores shipping and billing information.
Person-to-person payment--Is an online payment or a third party payment like paypal.
13. Create a table that compares and contrasts POP mail with web-based mail
Stores new Messages on an e-mail server
Keeps your mail at a website, where it can be accessed using a standard web browser
The Email is set up on a POP Server which is a computer that stores your incoming messages until they can be transferred to your computer
Obtain a login ID and Password from a Web Mail site
E-Mail Client Software, such as Microsoft Outlook
Any Web Browser
Inbox – Received Messages
Outbox – Sent Messages
Inbox – Received Messages
Outbox – Sent Messages
More control because messages are transferred to your computer’s hard disk
Messages are stored on its server where you have less control over who can access them.
Since the messages are stored on the hard drive, a hard drive malfunction could wipe out all of your correspondence
Data is safeguarded and might be safer than storing it on a hard disk.
You must have your computer with you to access the e-mail
The e-mail can be accessed from any computer with internet access.
14. List the advantages and disadvantages of HTML formatted mail. Explain how MIME works.
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is a set of specifications for document creation that a browser can display on a webpage. This is called a markup language because documents are marked up by insterting special instructions that tell how a document should look when displayed on-screen. Most email software uses HTML formatting to enable the user to insert special graphics and elaborate formats that are beyond the capabilities of normal ASCII email. By using HTML formatting, one can create personalized emails with all kinds of neat graphics and fonts and colors, going beyond the boundaries of the vanilla text of traditional e-correspondence. That is the main advantage of HTML mail. The downside to this brave new world is the increased possiblity of virus distrubution through HTML formatting, as well as the danger of opening new security holes in one's email, which would leave a computer more vulnerable to hackers.
One way to increase security in emailing attachments is the use of the MIME conversion process. MIME stands for Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extensions. MIME conversion disguises digital media files as ASCII code so it can more easily and more securely travel as email attachments.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"